Monday, December 5, 2011

Beef Jerky





Okay, So here is my jerky recipe....

  • 5lb of lean beef 
  • 1 bottle of Dales original seasoning 
  • 1 cup of Louisiana hot sauce 
  • 1/4 cup ground black pepper 


I like to use the Beef Round Eye Round Roast, the fat will be on the top and easily trimmed off. It is pretty cheap also, I paid $18 for five pounds. I request that the butcher cuts it in 1/4" slices (no mess for me) with the slicer. I mix all the ingredients in a bowl without the meat. I separate the meat into three gallon bags and then fill each bag equally with the mixed ingredients. I use three bags because I have different levels of heat. So mark them with a sharpie and add additional hot sauce or pepper. Place in the fridge for 24 hrs.



I use a dehydrator rather than an oven or smoker. After 24 hrs of soaking I place the meat on the racks. It’s important that the meat does not overlap. After a hour or so I will alternate the racks from top to bottom. After the third hour I like to flip the meat. Then I leave it for two or three more ours without bother. Into the sixth hour I will pull the racks and start checking to see what is done.

Press on the meat and check the firmness. As an example...press on the palm of your hand closes to your lifeline at the bottom. Notice how it pops back, if your jerky does this it not ready . You can also bend the meat, if it cracks and you see whitish paper like material it’s done. I don't like to break every piece.

Experiment with this and let me know how your jerky comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment